Sunday 23 February 2014

Curry Noodles (Mi Kari)


            When I was in my lower secondary, I often visited the stall at the basement of Holiday Plaza, JB, for my favourite Curry Noodles from the only Hawker Stall there. Though it has been more than 20 years, I still have vivid memories of that delicious and tempting dish even though the Uncle is no longer there.

When I went back to my hometown for my upper secondary education, Chicken Delight became another hang out place for my Curry Noodles fix. I remembered visiting this place to celebrate, even the smallest of events with some of my Chinese friends (Lee Sau Fah, Lee Ooi Chan, Foo Yuen Yun, Lock Kam Chuan, Wai Seap Moi & Lee Choon Fah, to name a few).  And yes, Chicken Delight is still standing today… though not strong, but they still have their regulars.  I would still sometimes (whenever I go back to my hometown) visit this place.  It is always nice to be back to a familiar somewhere to indulge and bask in the sweet memories of my early years.

To honor the teen-hood year of my life, I would like to share this Curry Noodles recipe with my readers.  It is delicious for me but if it does not fit your tastebuds, you can always alter it to your own liking.

Here is how:

Ingredients
  1. 10 shallots
  2. 5 cloves of garlic
  3. Ginger (about the size of your thumb)
  4. 1 tablespoon (heap) Dried Shrimp
  5. 1 stalk of lemongrass
  6. 3 sprigs of curry leaves
  7. 1/2 a cup Oil
  8. A pack of noodles
  9. Chicken (you can take from half to one chicken – up to your liking)
  10. Clam Flesh (Kerang rebus) about 1 to 2 bowls (Optional)
  11. Curry Powder (I either use Kari Peladang or Baba’s)
  12. 2 Tablespoon Sugar
  13. Coconut Milk from one coconut
  14. 1 spoon of tamarind juice
  15. Fried Chinese Tofu
  16. Fish Ball
  17. Fish Cake
For Garnishing
  1. Boiled Egg
  2. Fried Shallots
  3. Cut chillies
  4. Calamansi (halves)
  5. Toufu (marinate with tumeric powder and salt then fry)
  6. Beansprouts (blanche)

Method
Blanche noodles in a boiling water, drained and set aside

For Gravy
  1. In a pot/wok, heat the cooking oil and saute 1 – 4 until fragrant
  2. Add in curry powder (make sure you mix with a little water in a bowl before transfer it to the pot/wok)
  3. Fry until the oil appears on the surface
  4. Add in chicken and let it cook for a while
  5. Add in coconut milk, tamarind juice, stir and let it simmer
  6. Add in clam flesh, fish ball, fish cake, salt, sugar and flavour enhancer and let it boil for a while. 
  7. Place noodle in a bowl, scoop in gravy and garnish.. 
                 ** Ready to eat **

Note : If you need or want thicker gravy, boil a potato, mash it up and add into the gravy. 
In some recipes, they even add long beans as an ingredient..


1 comment:

  1. As Salam, your curry noodles looks delish. Ones of my husband's faves. I like your pumpkin talam and I plan to bake something using pumpkin too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...